[Catalyst] My experience porting to CataMoose

Sebastian Willert willert at gmail.com
Wed May 13 02:13:06 GMT 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 07:21 +0900, Daisuke Maki wrote:
> >> 2. Hooking to methods that Plugins use via method modifiers breaks
> >> method dispatch
> >>
> >> I got bit by this while depending on Catalyst::Plugin::Unicode, and
> >> trying to hook a custom error handling mechanism at finalize().
> >
> > <snip explanation>
> >
> > Hmm, that certainally looks like a bug to me..
> >
> > Any chance that I could get you to write a test case or two for this issue?
>
> I get it now, it has to do with when setup() and method modifiers run:
>
> <snip example code>
>
>   If you intend to use Moose's method modifiers in your app, do so
>   /AFTER/ Catalyst->setup has been called.
>
> or some such

First of all: thanks for the pointer, you have ended a lot of hair
pulling for me. But IMO this is not just a common gotcha but a serious
bug. I have a few plugins I am trying to convert to Moose::Role's that
desperately need both
  before 'setup_components'
and
  after 'finalize'

This just isn't going to work one way or the other :(

Maybe I can whip up some testcases tomorrow ..

Cheers,
  Sebastian