[Catalyst] New restarter code in Catalyst::Devel 1.14_01

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Tue May 19 02:19:22 GMT 2009

On Mon, 18 May 2009, Rodrigo wrote:

> This is a fresh Strawberry Perl 5.8.9 (Apr 2009) install + Catalyst::Devel.
>
> Has anyone tested the new restarter on Win32? It looks like some kindda
> issue with the "fork" at  Catalyst::Restarter::_fork_and_start(). IMHO, a
> parent process loaded with the core code could too advanced for windows'
> pseudo-fork. So I was wondering if maybe this was tested on ActivePerl
> --I've feeling that their fork works better than Strawberry's.

I did test this on WinXP using Strawberry (5.8.8, IIRC), and it worked
fine. Win32 Perl does support a fork emulation that uses thread under the
hood.

I don't think the fork implementation in Strawberry is any different than
ActivePerl. ActiveState wrote the fork implementation (again, IIRC) and
contributed it to the Perl core.

That said, I was thinking it might be good to also have a threads-based
version available, and that could be the default to use on Win32.

I took a stab at doing this at one point, but got stuck on trying to
actually kill the "child" thread.

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)