[Catalyst] Catalyst::Manual v5.8000 Now On CPAN

hkclark at gmail.com hkclark at gmail.com
Thu May 28 12:40:06 GMT 2009

Hi Everyone,

A new version of Catalyst::Manual has been posted to CPAN.  Although
we don't yet have a lot of Catalyst 5.80-specific material just yet
(there is some initial information at
http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Catalyst::Manual::CatalystAndMoose --
Please send in any contributions you might have!), I have tested
everything in the tutorial against 5.8004, so we have bumped the
version number of Catalyst::Manual to 5.8XXX as well (note that the
XXX parts of Catalyst::Manual and Catalyst::Runtime version numbers
are *not* expected to match... anything in the 5.8XXX range of one is
expected to be compatible with the 5.8XXX range of the other).

You can get the full history of the changes here:

  http://search.cpan.org/dist/Catalyst-Manual/Changes

But the important changes in this release include:

  * Plural DB table names are now singular.  Many thanks to
        Kiffin Gish (krg) for all the help on that effort!
  * We have gone back to the original plan of putting a number
        at the start of the name of each .pod file for the tutorial
        so things sort correctly in places like this:
        http://search.cpan.org/dist/Catalyst-Manual/
  * Add two new sections to the tutorial:
      - Ch 4: "Moving Complicated View Code to the Model"
      - Ch 3: "RenderView's 'dump_info' Feature"
  * Add the Catalyst::Manual::CatalystAndMoose.pod mentioned
      above
  * Tested the tutorial against 5.8004 on Debian using the
      Debian packages.

I have also started grouping items in the "Changes" file based on mods
to the tutorial vs other parts of the docs... I'm hoping that will
help people figure out where the changes are taking place so they can

Speaking of reviewing the new sections, here is a summary of some
other important and fairly recent changes to the tutorial in case you
want to go back and review the new material.  Many of these at things
mst has been "urging" me to update to the current "best practice" for
some time. :-)  We are going to try to put out short FYI notes to the
list when there are major changes to the docs (certainly not planning
to do that for every release where it's just minor typo fixes and
such)... but consider this a "catch up" list to summarize the main
changes in the tutorial over the last 5-6 months:  :-)

  * Chapter 03_MoreCatalystBasics
      - Remove "create=dynamic" for model creation
      - Switch to "load_namespaces" for DBIC
      - Remove TTSite (thanks to dhoss for the help)
  * Chapter 04_BasicCRUD
      - Add new section "Exploring the Power of DBIC"
      - Add chained dispatch
  * Chapter 05_Authentication:
      - Switch to Catalyst::Authentication::Realm::SimpleDB
      - Switch to DBIx::Class::EncodedColumn for hashed & salted passwords
  * Chapter 06_Authorization
      - Removed Catalyst::Plugin::Authorization::ACL in favor of
            "chained and model-based" approach
  * Chapter 10_Appendices
      - Rewrite the Postgresql section

Regards,