[Catalyst] Multiple instances of same app with 5.80 under mod_perl

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Thu May 28 17:00:36 GMT 2009

Stephen Clouse wrote:
> I have seen hints dropped in places such as
> http://osdir.com/ml/lang.perl.modules.dbix-class/2006-08/msg00188.html
> that Catalyst 5.80 has gained more explicit support for such a
> deployment model under mod_perl, but so far I have come up empty on
> finding references or examples of how to actually do it.
>
> Some guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hiya.

Sorry to let you down, but this mail was written in 2006, and contains
the plan as it was then.

Unfortunately, nobody has stepped up to the plate to do the requisite
work to split the application class and context (which is what that mail
is hinting at).

The work done in 5.80 makes this _significantly_ easier than it used to
be if someone wants to step up to help tackle it - I think more work is
involved munging the test suite than actually hacking Catalyst itself..

It _is_ still possible to have one application instance serving many
vhosts, and many of the parts are there - supporting this inside your
application isn't too difficult, but unfortunately you can't yet get it
'out of the box'.

Cheers
t0m