[Catalyst] Multiple instances of same app with 5.80 under mod_perl

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Fri May 29 09:29:52 GMT 2009

Stuart Watt wrote:
> True, we did need to keep each application using processes which are
> separate. This was an issue when we used PerlEx (the ActivePerl style
> mod_perl approach) but we now use FastCGI (clients use Windows, etc.)
> and IIS freely creates many processes, and makes it really easy to set
> environment variables for them from its configuration files. The IIS
> FastCGI mechanism was developed closely with Zend, and I guess PHP faced
> the same kind of issue, and this was their solution.

So I guess that IIS starts a different set of FCGI processes per vhost.

Which will fix all your problems nicely as everything exists in it's own
process space, and each process only serves the vhost it was brought up
to serve.

I can't see this strategy working so good if you had several hundred
active vhosts at the same time however...

200x copies of the same application per server won't work so nice...

Or IIS would be tearing down and starting new FCGI processes per request
if the max processes limit is < no of active vhosts.. That'd be, well,
CGI then..

So yes, for most uses, this is a 'get out of jail free' card, but
doesn't in any way solve the core architectural issue at hand.

> I'll wikify the config trick for now; we're close to production
> deadlines right now, but I do want to get this out there!

That's great, thank you very much!

Cheers
t0m