[Catalyst] does detach cancel forward

Ovid publiustemp-catalyst at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 4 22:19:42 GMT 2009

----- Original Message ----

> From: Steve Rippl <rippls at woodlandschools.org>
>
> I'm building "chains" of methods using forward and detach mostly, I
> quote the chains because I know it's not the regular chained methods but
> my "chains" vary according to where you are etc.  Anyway, the question I
> have is whether forward is still valid after a detach... let me
> illustrate...
>
> If A forwards to B, once B is done it comes back to A, that I use and it
> works.  If C detaches to D to doesn't come back after D, again I use
> that.
>
> Now, If from A I forward to B, then B detaches to C which detaches to D,
> it doesn't seem to come back to A after D.  Is this my mistake
> somewhere, is it by design?  Does the detach after a forward "cancel"
> the forward?

Think of detach as "game over", if that helps (probably doesn't).  From the docs, detach(....) is described as:

    The same as forward, but doesn't return to the previous action when processing is finished.

I think that description might be a bit confusing for some, as your question suggests.

Cheers,
Ovid
--
Buy the book         - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlhks/