[Catalyst] Debian recommendation

Octavian Râşniţă orasnita at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 12:38:31 GMT 2009

From: "J. Shirley" <jshirley at gmail.com>

>> cpan> look ModuleName
>> $ perl Makefile.PL
>> $ make
>> $ make test
>> $make install
>>
>> I can install the modules without problem (usually).
>> However, I need to manually install each dependency.
>>
>> I've seen this strange thing under 2 Debian systems so I think it is not
>> Debian bug.
>>
>> Does this happen to you? If yes, how do you solve it?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Octavian
>>

>>  My Debian steps are:
>
> (as root)
> 1. Upgrade CPAN (Bundle::CPAN)
> 2. Upgrade CPANPLUS
> 3. Upgrade/Install Module::Install
> 4. Upgrade/Install Module::Build
> 5. Install local::lib

Well, after upgrading these modules, the installation of other modules seems
to work better with the cpan shell.

> (as app user)
> 6. Install deps for application
>
> I've never had a problem with things not building doing this, but haven't
> tried other ways.

Can you tell me more about this last step?

I have tried to put in Makefile.PL:

use FindBin;
use local::lib "$FindBin::Bin/support";

But when I run it, it still tries to write to /var/www which is the home dir
of www-data user (the current user).

So I have also tried removing those 2 lines and doing:

$ perl -Mlocal::lib

Then
$ perl Makefile.PL

But it asked me:

[sudo] password for www-data:

and I must give the root password (and www-data is not in the sudoers
group).

I have tried with another user:

# adduser octavian
# su octavian
$ cd /home/octavian
$ perl -Mlocal::lib
$ perl Makefile.PL

But it also asked me:

[sudo] password for octavian:

...when trying to install Catalyst::Runtime, so I must be doing something
wrong.

For the first time I tried to su www-data and use this user because it is
the user used by Apache and if I'd use another user and generate a temporary
file, for example a compiled TT template, when Apache tries to re-write that
file, it gives an error telling that it doesn't have the necessary
permissions to overwrite it.

Thanks.

Octavian