[Catalyst] Debian recommendation

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Sat Oct 17 17:35:18 GMT 2009

On 17 Oct 2009, at 13:38, Octavian Râşniţă wrote:

> Can you tell me more about this last step?
>
> I have tried to put in Makefile.PL:
>
> use FindBin;
> use local::lib "$FindBin::Bin/support";
>
> But when I run it, it still tries to write to /var/www which is the
> home dir of www-data user (the current user).
>
> So I have also tried removing those 2 lines and doing:
>
> $ perl -Mlocal::lib
>
> Then
> $ perl Makefile.PL
>
> But it asked me:
>
> [sudo] password for www-data:

You are doing it wrong.

Just running perl -Mlocal::lib will print out the shell variables
which you need to set for local::lib to work.

Printing stuff out is not the same as telling your shell about it.

See: http://search.cpan.org/~apeiron/local-lib-1.004008/lib/local/lib.pm#The_bootstrapping_technique

Specifically, you need to say something like:  echo 'eval $(perl -I
$HOME/perl5/lib/perl5 -Mlocal::lib)' >>~/.bashrc

Cheers
t0m