[Catalyst] Re: Debian recommendation

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Oct 17 12:53:58 GMT 2009

Octavian Râşniţă <orasnita at gmail.com> writes:
> From: "Daniel Pittman" <daniel at rimspace.net>
> > Octavian Râşniţă <orasnita at gmail.com> writes:

As a side note, Octavian, your mail client didn't quote any of my text, which
made it quite tricky to work out what you and I both said. ;)

> >> I've seen a recommendation on this list for Debian for running perl apps,
> >> and recently I started to use this distro.  I've seen that I can install
> >> perl modules very hard under Debian if I use the CPAN shell.
> >
> > If you forgive me descending into opinion, I think you are approaching this
> > from a point of view that will make Debian, more or less, unhelpful to you.
> > Installing Debian, then putting everything else in place from CPAN (at least
> > system-wide) is going to cause problems in the longer term.
>
> Yes I think you are right. I think I would like a distro that allow me to
> install packages like libpng, libgd and others like these very easy, like
> yum and apt-get do, but also let me install perl modules with cpan because
> no distro's repository would be as well updated as CPAN directly.
>
> The solution seems to be to use Debian and install perl modules using
> local::lib.

*nod*  That, or perhaps investigate something with a ports-alike system,
either on *BSD, or Gentoo, or perhaps some other Linux distro.

> Now, I've started to use a fresh installed Debian and I've installed very
> many CPAN modules using CPAN in the default perl modules location.  What
> would you recommend me to do in this case? Can I just rename/delete the
> files and dirs installed into
>
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0
>
> and install them using local::lib?

If you installed all the modules under /usr/local then you should be pretty
OK; Debian deliberately keep that for local software installation, so no
package will put things there.

You could even keep installing things there if you want; it won't *break*
anything — it just won't give you too much value from the "Debian" part of the
equation either. ;)

At this point I would suggest one of two things:

1. Delete /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0/* entirely, and use local::lib

2. Just keep using /usr/local to install stuff system-wide, and accept that
   this is potentially going to make the wonderful stuff people say about
   Debian less applicable to your machine.

        Daniel
   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.