[Catalyst] Debian recommendation

Buchan Milne bgmilne at mandriva.org
Tue Oct 27 13:53:02 GMT 2009

On Friday, 16 October 2009 13:20:12 Octavian Râşniţă wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've seen a recommendation on this list for Debian for running perl apps,
> and recently I started to use this distro.
>
> I've seen that I can install perl modules very hard under Debian if I use
> the CPAN shell.
> For example if I run
>
> $ cpan
> cpan> install Class::MOP
>
> it gives an "Unknown error" and it doesn't want to install and the same
> with Catalyst::Runtime.
>
> But if I do then
>
> cpan> look ModuleName
> $ perl Makefile.PL
> $ make
> $ make test
> $make install
>
> I can install the modules without problem (usually).
> However, I need to manually install each dependency.
>
> I've seen this strange thing under 2 Debian systems so I think it is not a
> Debian bug.
>
> Does this happen to you? If yes, how do you solve it?

I note that both Mandriva (which has had it for a few years) and Fedora now
have working Catalyst packages. Mandriva also has a CPANPLUS backend (which is
being actively used for packaging new CPAN modules, however other tools -
written in perl - are used for updating all packages).

I am prepared to package other Catalyst modules for Mandriva on request.

Regards,
Buchan