[Catalyst] Modelling the right way

Matthias Dietrich mdietrich at cpan.org
Thu Sep 3 10:20:59 GMT 2009

Hi,

the models in my past applications were quite small and if they need
interaction with other models (like DBIC and stuff), I used
ACCEPT_CONTEXT to either get the complete context object or part of
it.  But all the models were related only to website parts and I
didn't use them outside of catalyst.  But, one goal of models should
be to be able to use them without catalyst, e.g. in cron jobs or other
scripts.

In a "proof of concept" app I'm building right now, I need the models
to be usable outside, so I cannot rely on the context object to
interact with other models and the database.  My idea is to build the
modules with business logic completly independent from catalyst and
use the models as thin wrappers around them.  With
Catalyst::Component::InstancePerContext I'm able to construct these
modules per request and pass the schema as parameter to new(), so the
module could use the database for retrieving the required data.  As
the other models are only wrappers, too, I could just 'use' the other
modules inside one module and pass along the schema, too.

I'm interested if this way of "modelling" is acceptable, how you
achieved this and what is considered best practice.

Thanks,
   matt

--
rainboxx Matthias Dietrich
Freier Software Engineer

rainboxx                  |  Tel.: +49 (0) 151 / 50 60 78 64
Tölzer Str. 19            |  Mail: matt at rainboxx.de
70372 Stuttgart           |  WWW : http://www.rainboxx.de

XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Matthias_Dietrich18
GULP: http://www.gulp.de/profil/rainboxx.html