[Catalyst] Testing Web 2 cat apps

Ash Berlin ash_cpan at firemirror.com
Mon Sep 14 08:59:05 GMT 2009

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:50:51 +1000, Chris <hutchinson.chris at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 4:23 AM, David Stevenson <hoagy at ytfc.com> wrote:
>> I second the recommendation of Selenium.  Even with the IDE it can take
>> while to get tests together, but it's well worth it IME.
>>

> Well worth it, but running selenium tests against IE using DOM
> accessors (div[2]/table[2]/tr[1]/td[2]) can be painfully slow. CSS
> accessors are recommended for reasonable speed.
>
> If you need to test file upload/downloads, then a daemon based on
> Win32::GuiTest is handy to type filenames into browser file dialogs
> (can't be done from javascript). I've attached one we use in our
> vmware windows selenium snapshot.
>
> - Chris

Good to know that there's an option for IE + Sel + file uploads. On the
firefox front, it is possible if you get selenium to launch FF right
(google for the particular invocation.) Then you just put a filename in the
box like its a text input, and FF will submit the file for you - all via
javascript.