[Catalyst] Catalyst benchmark 5.7 vs 5.8 - new test

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Wed Sep 30 00:21:34 GMT 2009

Tomas Doran wrote:
> Toby Corkindale wrote:
>> It's interesting to note the headline figures have 5.71 performing 316
>> tps, vs 5.80 making only 283 tps.
>
> The very important thing you haven't noted (unless I missed it) is what
> perl version this benchmark was conducted under.

Ah, sorry, I didn't mention it.

I benchmarked it on Perl 5.10.0, using the standard system Perl on
Ubuntu Jaunty. (With updates applied)

I was benchmarking the two Catalyst's on otherwise-identical setups, as
I thought that was fairer.. Just about *everything* OO performs faster
on Perl 5.010 vs 5.008, doesn't it?

> Some benchmarking was done before 5.8 was released, and it showed that
> Catalyst 5.7 was (marginally) quicker on perl 5.8 and that Catalyst 5.8
> was (marginally) quicker on perl 5.10 :)

My test app is very simple; If there's some official test app available
I'd be interesting in re-running my tests. I pushed my little test app
and some siege scripts out to github, but I don't think they'd be happy
with 2GB of virtual machine images being added :)

> So I'd be very interested to see the benchmark repeated with two
> different perls, giving 4 results to compare and contrast.

I'll see if I get some more time to try that; building Perl from scratch
takes quite a bit longer than using the system perl.. and if I start
comparing with totally different OS versions then the tests aren't
really so valid, are they?

--
Strategic Data Pty Ltd
Ph: 03 9340 9000