[Catalyst] Catalyst benchmark 5.7 vs 5.8 - new test

Ashley apv at sedition.com
Wed Sep 30 02:02:22 GMT 2009

Possibly related anecdote. My main personal app went from 5 second
start ups to start ups of well over a minute when I went from 5.7 to
5.8. I had a handful of Controller and Model classes in which I had
written test code and then removed it all so they looked something like-

package MyApp::Controller::Stuff;
1;
__END__
Tons of code that was deemed too dangerous or experimental for
production but I want to keep in this package for when I finally sort
it out...

The test server reminded me about them with warnings. I removed them
(I *think* that's all I did) and startups went back to "normal." Still
quite a bit slower but not astronomically slower.