[Catalyst] Catalyst benchmark 5.7 VS 5.8

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Wed Sep 30 00:27:13 GMT 2009

Carl Johnstone wrote:
> Toby Corkindale wrote:
>> (CentOS 5 was one of the operating systems that came with the
>> badly-patched Perl with the slow bless performance..
>> although I'm sure it's been patched by now?
>> ie. http://blog.vipul.net/2008/08/24/redhat-perl-what-a-tragedy/
>> )
>
> Was patched last year - stop spreading FUD.

OK, well do you want to get CentOS to close the bug on it then? :P

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2357

(I sent an email to some CentOS-using friends asking them what's up and
I see they added a note to the bottom of the bug just yesterday..)
For those of us not using Centos, but helping others, we can only go on
what we read. It IS the official bugtracker for centos, isn't it? If we
can't trust it, what CAN we trust?)

> The RHEL/CentOS perl build isn't the best one is the world but it's adequate
> enough for most uses. Too much FUD will just scare decision makers who don't
> understand the technical details and just see perl + RHEL = fail.

Well, that pretty much WAS the case for quite a long time :(

Glad to hear it's finally fixed up though.

tjc