[Catalyst] More Application or More Controllers

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Fri Apr 9 08:03:37 GMT 2010

On 9 Apr 2010, at 07:50, Amit Jha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can any body help me on finding out a best way:
> I am planning to build an application on catalyst. I have 3
> different module
> 1. Admin Utility.
> 2. Search Utility.
> 3. Index List Utility.
>
> All modules have lots of jobs to perform.

Erm, that's failing at object orientation by definition, by violating
the 'single responsibility principle'.

> My question is to create a separate catalyst app for each and put
> them under a directory
>  or
> in single app with different controllers to perform the job.

Whichever is logicially easiest to manage for you. Separate apps will
lead to more skeleton code, so unless there's a particular reason, I'd
probably make them the same application. It's always entirely possible
to split them up later, and less code to start with is easier to manage.

> I am much concern about performance and scalability,

How you architect and write your data model is much more important to
this than the above question.

However, premature optimisation is the root of all evil :)

Cheers
t0m