[Catalyst] Alternatives to Catalyst ?

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 12:33:11 GMT 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 4:36 AM, Oleg Pronin <syber.rus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you hear the difference between 3mln/s and 24k/s ?
>
> I do not say that using hashes are good. But i'm sure that developers
> MUST NOT use super-slow frameworks like MooseXXXX-shit (which tries to
> emulate perl6 on perl5:   what for???) only to get "good maintened
> code". That's the own problems of developers how do they organize
> internals. Why users of Catalyst must suffer from that ?  Or you wanna
> tell that "good maintened code" must have a price of >100x slow down
> ??? that an absurdity can't you see it?
>
> It is possible to get good code (with MIXINS, C3, etc) without such a
> great losses. If you see that something slows down application more
> than 2x why do you use it? kick it off ! Benchmark.pm is your friend!
>
> Finnaly, you are creating framework for other people and the main
> thing is how it looks outside, not inside.
>
> Sorry for my "hard" post, i'm just a little nervious :(

Look, you may be nervous but it doesn't give you a right to be stupid
in public.  That's exactly what you are being.

Did you see my benchmark post? It shows the *exact* same pattern by
simply wrapping a sub around a hash lookup.  This is called
programming.  You do things, it makes the CPU work.  Done.

You have provided absolutely no useful Benchmarking, which would be an
entire request lifecycle against your idea of what a perfect request
would be.

What's your concern?  That your site won't be fast enough?  That's
bogus, because you could just ask, "Hey, who is running high profile,
high demand sites on Catalyst and what are your performance numbers?"
Then you wouldn't be acting like an asshole, and people would help you
out.

It's obvious you are struggling to understand a subject that you
aren't familiar with (performance optimization) and are lashing out at
the obvious things you can find ("A hash ref is faster than a sub,
lets never use a sub!").  Don't.

Spend some time properly benchmarking *your* application and see what
you can do to improve the throughput.  Ask *specific* questions on
*specific* benchmarks.

Right now you are hand waving and making yourself look like a complete
idiot.  You probably don't want to look like an idiot, so try taking
my advice.

-J