[Catalyst] Alternatives to Catalyst ?

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 17:35:29 GMT 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Lyle <webmaster at cosmicperl.com> wrote:
> Kee Hinckley wrote:
>>
>> No argument there. I dearly wish the effort that had gone into Perl6 had
>> gone into a Perl5 IDE and web framework with a single "best in class" set of
>> options (with docs) to bring a new, non-perl, programmer up to a working web
>> site the same way it's possible with Ruby. Elegance isn't worth a damn if
>> nobody is using it.
>>

> Perl 6 was/is the right thing to do. We can't keep bolting modern things
> onto Perl 5, it just causes more issues like the performance things
> mentioned in the start of this thread.
> I wish a lot of this "modern perl 5" effort had gone towards Perl 6... But
> like Lars pointed out, that's not how it works with volunteer time.
>
> I'm sure Perl 6 ports of Cat and Padre will follow it's release.

Factually, this isn't correct (and is in fact the opposite).  A lot of
the perl6 work that has been brought into perl5 is available in
5.10.0+ as new features, which are *increasing* the speed of
Moose/Class::MOP.

Moose and Class::MOP are not Perl6.  It brings some Perl6 features
into Perl5, but that's not what it is for.

Perl 5 runs now.  It runs many, many businesses.  Perl 5.10 is a
backwards-compatible release that speeds up many improvements brought
about by using Class::MOP and Moose, as well as added a wealth of new
features.

They are separate.  They are not the same.

To compare the efforts between the two, on a technical level, is like
saying that you wish the momentum that Ruby had was instead placed in
Perl6.

Different things are different, just because there were Perl 5 hackers
that moved on to work on Perl6 doesn't change that they are very
different.  The Perl6 hackers are language guys, loving to work on
languages.  The Perl 5 people are solving real world problems that you
see on the CPAN.

Both are absolutely necessary and very valuable to the community, but
to confuse Perl6 as being a resource drain on Perl 5 (or in reverse)
is misguided.

They're both sharing work, and Perl 5 is improving from many angles.

This thread has sure gone crazy...