[Catalyst] Suggestions for iPhone version of app

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 15:04:50 GMT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Steve Nolte <steve at redanvil.net> wrote:
>> On 4/26/2010 10:22 AM, Steve Nolte wrote:
>> > And any frameworks, such as jQTouch, to recommend or stay away from?
>>
>> I've heard good things about http://www.phonegap.com/
>
> Thanks for the PhoneGap suggestions, but to clarify I'm looking for something to first help me build the iPhone version of my web app.  PhoneGap is for bundling up a web app you have as an actual iPhone App.
>
> So my request for framework suggestions is more specifically for something that will help me create the UI.  And I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through the work to build a Catalyst app with both a desktop and mobile interface.

HTTP::BrowserDetect gives you the detection, and you could setup a
separate view for those templates with a fallback to the previous
templates.

You configure the secondary view with multiple paths (INCLUDE_PATH),
so you can override any template (just by it existing in the first
dir).

On a separate, and more involved note, SproutCore Touch has just been released.

You can read about it in the introduction article on the sproutcore blog here:
http://blog.sproutcore.com/post/531215199/introducing-sproutcore-touch

Unfortunately it looks like touch.sproutcore.com is having its own issues.

To give you an idea of how it works, you'll actually be building a
full client-side application that communicates with your application,
in terms of data storage, etc.

This will give you the most native feeling, seemingly just like that
of a real application.  It also handles local storage, so you can
cache things directly on the device itself.

Hope this helps, have fun.

-Jay