[Catalyst] Catalyst 5.8: the Perl MVC Framework - Packt Publishing

kevin montuori montuori at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 18:04:27 GMT 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Roderick A. Anderson
<raanders at cyber-office.net> wrote:
> I'm always in the market for dead tree or captured electron media but I
> don't remember seeing any posts on the list by the author -- Antano Solar
> John.
>
> Has anyone reviewed this book?  Familiar with the author?

The 1st edition wasn't at all bad, aside from the absolutely awful
editing job and useless index.  A quick read through the 2nd edition
seems to be much mostly the same with a new chapter on Moose.  I
"upgraded" the book hoping the Moose bits would be informative.  They
might be, but only if you're very new to Moose. there are no deep
insights to be found.  The editing and layout (at least of the etext)
is worse -- I honestly didn't think that was possible; the index
appears unchanged.

If you're looking for a good -- but becoming outdated -- book, the
Apress book is a better choice.

Honestly, this'll be the last time I buy anything from Packt.  They
have very promising titles (and the 1st ed of the Catalyst book was
informative and clueful, I mean no disrespect to the author) but the
publishing part of the equation is shabby, at least in a world where
Apress, ORA, AW, &c. books are so well done.  Something as seemingly
simple as consistent capitalization appears beyond Packt's reach.

All things told, I wouldn't recommend it.

k.

--
kevin montuori