[Catalyst] Catalyst 5.8: the Perl MVC Framework - Packt Publishing

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at cyber-office.net
Sun Aug 1 18:52:01 GMT 2010

kevin montuori wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Roderick A. Anderson
> <raanders at cyber-office.net> wrote:
>> I'm always in the market for dead tree or captured electron media but I
>> don't remember seeing any posts on the list by the author -- Antano Solar
>> John.
>>
>> Has anyone reviewed this book?  Familiar with the author?
>
> The 1st edition wasn't at all bad, aside from the absolutely awful
> editing job and useless index.  A quick read through the 2nd edition
> seems to be much mostly the same with a new chapter on Moose.  I
> "upgraded" the book hoping the Moose bits would be informative.  They
> might be, but only if you're very new to Moose. there are no deep
> insights to be found.  The editing and layout (at least of the etext)
> is worse -- I honestly didn't think that was possible; the index
> appears unchanged.
>
> If you're looking for a good -- but becoming outdated -- book, the
> Apress book is a better choice.
>
> Honestly, this'll be the last time I buy anything from Packt.  They
> have very promising titles (and the 1st ed of the Catalyst book was
> informative and clueful, I mean no disrespect to the author) but the
> publishing part of the equation is shabby, at least in a world where
> Apress, ORA, AW, &c. books are so well done.  Something as seemingly
> simple as consistent capitalization appears beyond Packt's reach.
>
> All things told, I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks Kevin and Nigel.

I have both the first edition of the Packt book and the Apress one.
Both of them were useful.

I was concerned because the last Packt ebook I bought was mostly a
rehash of the online documentation (which left a lot to be desired) and
the last dead tree book from Packt was not all that great.

I'll forgo the new version.

\\||/
Rod