[Catalyst] Module::Install::Catalyst very slow

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Aug 17 00:47:11 GMT 2010

Oh, that patch will break when used on an existing tree, so don't use.  And
I'm not clear how distclean will work with the symlinks.

So, if destination is already a symlink is there anything to do?  Assume
it's already linked.
And if it's a regular dir then do the rcopy?

I'm using this just to speed up places where people are running the
Makefile.PL script somewhat often.
But, as a replacement for rcopy a bit more testing is needed to see what
might break.

Sorry for the noise.

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Curtis Jewell <perl at csjewell.fastmail.us=
>wrote:
>
>> So the build process can't symlink without checking for support for it
>> first. (Catalyst DOES run on Win32, after all, as well as the Unixen.)
>>

> Of course.
>

> Here's an svn export of an app:
>
>  $ find . | wc -l
> 35677
>
> $ fgrep 'model name' /proc/cpuinfo | uniq -c
>       8 model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5335  @ 2.00GHz
>
> (not that the number of cores makes a difference here)
>
> $ time perl Makefile.PL
> real    4m25.784s
> user    0m4.670s
> sys     0m5.110s
>

> See any situations where symlink (as in attached diff) would not work?
>

>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:46 -0700, "Bill Moseley" <moseley at hank.org>
>> wrote:
>> > When I run Makefile.PL the Module::Install::Catalyst step can take a
>> > number
>> > of minutes -- it just took five minutes on one machine just now. I
>> assume
>> > that's because of the recursive copy.
>> >
>> > Does the build process require actual copies or could symlinks be used
>> > speed up this process?
>> --
>> Curtis Jewell
>> csjewell at cpan.org           http://csjewell.dreamwidth.org/
>> perl at csjewell.fastmail.us   http://csjewell.comyr.org/perl/
>>
>> "Your random numbers are not that random" -- perl-5.10.1.tar.gz/util.c
>>
>> Strawberry Perl for Windows betas: http://strawberryperl.com/beta/

>> Searchable archive:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.scsys.co.uk/
>> Dev site: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/