[Catalyst] Configuration Management in Continuous Integration environments

Trevor Leffler tleffler at uw.edu
Wed Dec 8 19:51:41 GMT 2010

Not exactly a Catalyst-specific query, however...

Right, certainly loading all the deps onto your CI at the system/global
level doesn't work when you've multiple projects, branches building that
have conflicting dependency requirements.

I've seen this problem solved by the "toolchain" method of committing
deps along with each project so that the deps move along with the
software they support.  You could include both the source tarballs and
the install dir(s) in your commits.  Some purists condemn this, pointing
to, e.g. DRY, but it can get the job done, which I think is what counts
at the end of the day.

I've also seen CI systems address this by creating their own entire
build environments *at build time* -- see the Fedora Project's Koji.
Again, this allows for multiple projects to build without trampling on
one another's deps/envs.  One downside is that your builds can take long
while to complete.

For faster build times, you may find the toolchain approach or even
having multiple build systems works better for you.

--Trevor