[Catalyst] Catalyst on Midphase's Shared Hosting

Mike Raynham catalyst at mikeraynham.co.uk
Sat Dec 25 07:30:53 GMT 2010

On 25/12/10 06:06, DU-Squash Info wrote:
> Can one run a catalyst app on a shared server? If so, how can one do so
> without modifying the apache host files?
>
> I have spent considerable time putting together an app, trusting that
> like my other perl apps, I could run it from one of my midphase
> accounts. I can install any perl modules, but apparently that's not enough?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> On 12/24/2010 05:04 PM, support at midphase.com wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thank you for contacting Technical Support. With being on a shared
>> server there is no way that Perl Catalyst Framework Apps will work.
>> Sorry about the inconvenience.
>>
>> If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

I wrote a Catalyst How To for Hostgator shared hosting a while ago,
which may be of some help:

http://tinyurl.com/24jad52

I did this when I was first learning Catalyst, so be sure to check out
the second post, which covers a couple of mistakes that I made.

You need to be able to create a .htaccess file, and may need some
modules installing as root.  While the installation worked, it was a
little slow.  I later moved it to a VPS solution, as this gave me much
more freedom and better performance.

Regards,

Mike