[Catalyst] FastCGI deployment - slow to complete request

Steve Rippl rippls at woodlandschools.org
Mon Feb 15 04:59:54 GMT 2010

Hi,

I have a small Catalyst app, the production version of which has been
running pretty well using the built in server as there haven't been too
many user at once.  I'm trying to anticipate higher concurrent usage and
switch to FastCGI (as that seems to be recommended in the book) and I
have the following running in Apache

FastCgiServer /srv/WsdSis/script/wsdsis_fastcgi.pl -processes 5
Alias / /srv/WsdSis/script/wsdsis_fastcgi.pl/

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName sis.woodlandschools.org
  ServerAdmin webmaster at woodlandschool.org
  DocumentRoot  /srv/WsdSis/root
  Alias /static /srv/WsdSis/root/static
</VirtualHost>

Now this works, it's serving up the application, but each request is
really slow to complete!  The obvious effect of this is that a page with
JavaScript waiting for a complete page before it does it's thing looks
dreadful for a while, the html has arrived but the browser is still
spinning, then eventually the page completes and the JS runs.  (I know
about graceful failure for JS, but I have an app that is going to depend
on it!).  If I switch this back to the built in server then the page is
completed faster than I can notice and the page renders correctly
immediately.  Back on FastCGI and even a simple page request is taking
~10 seconds to complete (again, that html arrives straight away, but
then the browser keeps spinning as if it's still waiting on something).

This is running on a Debian 5 machine using libapache2-mod-fastcgi.

Thanks,
Steve

--
Steve Rippl