[Catalyst] CatalystX::CRUD::Tutorial...looking for missing pieces.

Peter Karman peter at peknet.com
Tue Jan 5 18:12:16 GMT 2010

Adam Mackler wrote on 01/05/2010 11:05 AM:
> Hello everyone.  I'm relatively new to Catalyst, and could spend many
> hours asking questions of experts.  For the moment, this is the wall
> I've hit:
>
> Without going into too much background, I want to get CatalystX::CRUD
> implemented.  I feel that if I can just get a working example going I
> can make my own project work.  There is a tutorial,
> CatalystX::CRUD::Tutorial.  It's a good start, but hasn't been enough
> for me.  In particular there's a line in the docs: "Assuming you have
> created a View and some templates, you can now search, browse, create,
> read, update and delete all your Album and Song data."
>
> I made a View, and I made some templates.  Obviously I'm still missing
> stuff, because I'm not yet searching, browsing, creating or reading
> the tutorial database data.  For example, a submit button on the forms
> I assume should be added to the tutorial example Forms.  My first
> guess put the button on the form, but hitting it just reloads the
> page.  And that's where I am: guessing, experimenting, reading,
> reading, experimenting, reading.
>
> It would be really great if there were a working example I could look
> at--or even just the missing pieces from the
> CatalystX::CRUD::Tutorial.  I figure that if there's anyone who knows
> what I want to know, this is the best place to look.

Hi Adam,

Try the tutorial here:
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2007/7

It uses Rose::DBx::Garden::Catalyst, which assumes you are using RDBO.

If you want to use DBIx::Class as your ORM package, you can do that too,
but it requires a little more manual intervention at present as I
haven't CPANified the bootstrapping code I have lying around somewhere.

Either way, there are example apps for both RDBO and DBIC in their
respective test directories here:
http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/KARMAN/CatalystX-CRUD-ModelAdapter-DBIC-0.11/t/example
http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/KARMAN/CatalystX-CRUD-Model-RDBO-0.22/t/lib/

Feel free to post back here with any questions/comments/patches.

pek

Peter Karman  .  http://peknet.com/  .  peter at peknet.com