[Catalyst] UTF-8 and mails

Bernhard Graf catalyst4 at augensalat.de
Mon Jan 25 15:00:07 GMT 2010

Jens Schwarz schrieb:

> If I set mysql_enable_utf8 (I guess that's what you're referring to), it does not change anything. Beside: http://dev.catalystframework.org/wiki/tutorialsandhowtos/Using_Unicode#Note states that this flag is "experimental and may change in future versions" so I tried to avoid it.

Don't avoid mysql_enable_utf8, it works! Use it (DBD::SQLite and DBD::Pg
have similar options if you are concerned about portability)!

Instead I'd suggest avoiding DBIx::Class::UTF8Columns, if you are using
that. That component really helps to shoot you into your own feet!

If your data is stored correctly in the database, then with option
mysql_enable_utf8 data is implicitly decoded from utf8 into Perl strings
 and vice versa.

If you are not sure if your data is encoded correctly in your MySQL
database, then read http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=37739 . If found
this really helpful and comprehensive.

But from your original post it didn't seem that the database was your
problem, right?

Bernhard Graf