[Catalyst] perms on gen script/ files differ between platforms

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Tue Jun 22 02:34:01 GMT 2010

Florian Ragwitz wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 07:05:56PM -0700, Darren Duncan wrote:
>> On Mac OS X, the initial 5 files in script/ had these permissions:
>>
>>   -rwx------
>>
>> ... where the owner can execute but no one else can do anything.
>>
>> On CentOS, the same files had these permissions:
>>
>>   -rw-rw-r--
>>
>> ... where no one can execute but everyone can read.
>>
>> So what is the reason for this difference?  Is it intentional or a
>> bug?
>
> I'm guessing your umask settings on both systems differ.

Thanks for the pointer; I wasn't previously aware of the "umask" feature of
Unixes, though I'm not surprised it exists either.

The umask does indeed differ on the 2 systems, but their values suggest this
isn't the complete story.

Typing "umask" on the Mac OS X gives "0022" and on Linux gives "0002".  This
would suggest default file permissions "-rw-r--r--" on Mac OS X and "-rw-rw-r--"
on Linux.

So, umask can explain the Linux perms all by themselves but there must be more
to it with the Mac OS X.

Regardless, I consider my question to be answered, so thank you.

-- Darren Duncan