[Catalyst] KiokuDB, MongoDB and the NoSQL thing

S.A. Kiehn keenlinks at ymail.com
Tue Mar 2 06:07:23 GMT 2010

I have a couple of production Catalyst/DBIx::Class sites on Debian stable, =
and then on my personal hobby site I use local::lib to try out new things.=
=A0 Recently I split out my users for this site into a separate model and I=
 thought it a good exercise to learn and use KiokuDB.=A0 It was just a coup=
le of simple objects, users & roles, but I believe I have a better understa=
nding of how a schema-less data model would work.=A0 All I do are lookups b=
ased on ID or indexed object values, but doing any type of ordering by date=
s or titles is a mystery.=A0 It seems that the Search::GIN is to provide th=
is sort of functionality, but it is under-documented and has not had an upd=
ate for awhile.

I do
 not see many posts
 regarding uses of KiokuDB within Catalyst so I was curious about the opini=
on of the community in regards to its usage.=A0 Is it still to early within=
 development?

Also, I have been reading more about the increase in the NoSQL interest, wi=
th a particular interest in the MongoDB database (it seems to be similar in=
 some respects to KiokuDB), but I do not find Perl people in the discussion=
 as much as others (Ruby, PHP).=A0 Are there developers in the Catalyst com=
munity who lean toward NoSQL concepts over traditional RDMS's, or is best t=
o view as a tool to use at times?

How about MongoDB?=A0 Am I being suckered by another bandwagon?

Thanks, Scott K.

      =