[Catalyst] Greasemonkey with JQuery, JSON, and Catalyst

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 21:44:13 GMT 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Michael Peck <mapeck65 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm writing a Greasemonkey script that incorporates JQuery, which I want to
> POST JSON data to a catalyst application.  The Catalyst application does not
> exist within the same domain as the page the greasemonkey script is running
> from, so I am assuming I will need to use Greasemonkey's GM_xmlhttpRequest
> method to post the data.  I am new to all of this, so I'm just trying to
> make sure my thought process is correct.
>
> On the client side, I think I should use JSON.stringify on the Javascript
> object before posting it using GM_xmlhttpRequest to the Catalyst app.
>
> On the Catalyst side, I'm planning to use Catalyst::Controller::REST, which
> should deserialize the JSON data with Catalyst::Action::Deserialize::JSON,
> if I understand it correctly.
>
> If anyone has done anything similar, I could use some pointers, as I'm new
> to Catalyst and haven't worked with JSON before.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike.

Assuming you can do the cross-domain xmlhttprequests with greasemonkey
(I don't use Greasemonkey) then Catalyst::Controller::REST is what you
are after.

Just make sure that you send the "Content-type: application/json"
header, and everything will work.  I do this a lot with JSON, using
yui3 though.

-Jay