[Catalyst] Difference in way config->{home} is calculated?

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Tue May 11 08:35:58 GMT 2010

On 11 May 2010, at 09:47, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> This app is quite a lot older than 'a while' :) I think the migration
> to Cat was about five years ago.

:)

> What actually prompted me to toss the
> inner Makefile.PL today was something at some stage complaining about
> the bareword 'catalyst;'...

That'd be lack of Module::Install:::Catalyst (i.e. no Catalyst::Devel
installed, or broken inc/ directory)..

>> The more standard thing to do would be to put everything in the
>> same dist,
>> but namespace the Catalyst app as IDL::Web ( so it was lib/IDL/
>> Web.pm etc),
>> and then you have the appropriate namespaces free to put other
>> things in..
>>
>> However detecting 'we are a dist in a checkout' by using the
>> presence of
>> Makefile.PL (or dist.ini I believe?) has never struck me as
>> beautiful or
>> elegant, but I've never (and I've never heard anyone else) come up
>> with a
>> much better idea..
>
> OK fair enough. We actually retrofitted the Cat part into an old .cgi
> app where the Cat was a bolt-on and the least disruptive from a
> migration point of view was to make its own thing as a sub-dir (I
> think mst was actually looking over my shoulder as we did this...).
> I'm tempted now to put it all under a single dist.

I can entirely see how that made most sense for being non-disruptive,
however if you can get to a point where it's sane to rename things to
create a single dist (and that won't entirely mangle your outstanding
branches) then I'd try to get round to it at some point as a cleanup /
standardisation.

> We serve from source (i.e. git clone) so the dist creation's never
> been an issue.
>
> For now it'd be OK to zero out that inner Makefile.PL I guess then so
> its contents don't confuse anyone in the future?

Yep, do that and add a comment reminding you not to delete it as it's
used for home directory detection :_)

Cheers
t0m