[Catalyst] Adding build scripts to Makefile.PL

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue May 11 13:49:02 GMT 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Florian Ragwitz <rafl at debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 06:15:03PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> >    I have a number of scrips that need to be run when building an
> >    application.  For example, I have a script that minifies javascript
> and
> >    css.  In many cases it's a real Makefile dependency -- need to run a
> >    command to turn one file into another -- but in some cases don't know
> the
> >    sources of the targets (i.e. a script just finds all .css files and
> >    minifies them) so might just want to run a command every time "make"
> is
> >    run.
>
> You can do globbing in your Makefile.PL, or use a script to just find
> the files, and have a target that depends on whatever the script
> outputed, or whatever.

Ok, thanks.  Do you have an example you can share?  Thankfully it's been
years since I created a Makefile by hand. ;)

Will that work in cases where there's no direct input and output files?
 Seems I remember using .PHONEY targets when I needed to run programs that
didn't alway produce a direct output -- that or create flag files to compare
against.

I have build scripts that combine .js and .css files into collections and
then outputs four versions (text, gzipped, and both with a version string),
another that extracts text to localize from javascript and validates that
the strings can be looked up in a db, one that builds jemplate files and
another that builds .js from other sources.  Some use File::Find to find
sources and others use config files.  Another processes images and other
media. The source file list can be very large, of course.

>    Anyone have examples of how to set this up in Makefile.PL (which uses
> >    Module::Install)?
>
> Module::Install has a postamble() command to add makefile snippets to
> the generated Makefile.PL

I've used postamble to add new targets ("make foo") but I'm not clear how to
make just "make" depend on them.   Maybe that's not the correct approach,
but I want our existing tools that build RPMs to run this code as part of
the normal make process .

Thanks,

-- =

Bill Moseley