[Catalyst] Adding build scripts to Makefile.PL

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.co.uk
Tue May 11 14:29:11 GMT 2010

On 11 May 2010 14:49, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:

> I've used postamble to add new targets ("make foo") but I'm not clear how
> to make just "make" depend on them.   Maybe that's not the correct approa=
ch,
> but I want our existing tools that build RPMs to run this code as part of
> the normal make process .

An EUMM version based on an app I wrote that generates a makefile with a
custom 'make install' target line.
I'll keep out of the MI / MB holy wars, this needed to work in a specific
environment with an old perl setup.

use ExtUtils::MakeMaker;
use ExtUtils::Manifest;
use ExtUtils::Install;

my @make_paths =3D qw( ... );
my @copy_files =3D qw( ... );

WriteMakefile(
);

package MY;

sub postamble {
    my $s =3D <<'EOM';

my_make ::
    # examples of how you could use a script or separate makefile to do the
install
    @${PERL} -I$(INST_LIB) bin/my_deploy.pl
    \$(MAKE) -f Makefile.my

my_install ::
    some commands here
EOM

    # add create dir command lines to the my_install target
    for my $path (@make_paths) {
        $s .=3D "\t\$(MKPATH) \$(C_APPDIR)/$path\n";
    }

    # add copy file command lines to the my_install target
    for my $path (@copy_files) {
        $s .=3D "\t\$(CP) $path \$(C_APPDIR)/$path\n";
    }

    return $s;
}

# add dependency my_install to target install, to call postamble target
sub install {
    my $class =3D shift;
    my $basic =3D $class->SUPER::install(@_);
    $basic =3D~ s/^(install :: .*)$/$1 my_install/m;
    return $basic;
}

sub my_config_vars {
    return {
       C_APPDIR =3D> '/some/path/',
    };
};

# add variables for use in postamble my_install target
sub constants {
    my $class =3D shift;
    my $basic =3D $class->SUPER::constants(@_);

    my $vars =3D $my_config_vars;
    my @prepend =3D map { "$_ =3D $vars->{$_}" } sort keys %$vars;

    return join("\n", at prepend) . "\n" . $basic;
}

Regards, Peter
http://perl.dragonstaff.co.uk