[Catalyst] Message Queue Options

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.co.uk
Fri Nov 5 17:41:50 GMT 2010

On 5 November 2010 17:08, James Spath <jspath at pangeamedia.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Peter Edwards <peter at dragonstaff.co.uk>w=
rote:

>> On 5 November 2010 14:50, James Spath <jspath at pangeamedia.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering what people's opinions are on the various
>>> messaging/logging queues available.  I know this subject has come up be=
fore,
>>> but things change, so another discussion is probably worthwhile.
>>>
>>> We're considering the following solutions for a new production we are
>>> working on:
>>>
>>>  - scribe
>>>  - rabbitmq
>>>  - gearman
>>>  - beanstalkd
>>>  - TheSchwartz
>>>

>> ApacheMQ is worth considering.
>>

> ActiveMQ you mean?  Yeah, I had looked at that.
>
> I just found this page which has a TON of information on it:
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Message_Queue_Evaluation_Notes

Yes of course, you're right I meant ActiveMQ.
A year or two back ActiveMQ used to leak file descriptors and memory...
nasty.
However, it has moved on since that evaluation was written and is being used
successfully in the BBC. It is part of our department's infrastructure
(World Service).
IIRC it did take a while for Ops to get the right configuration but I
thought I'd let you know it is definitely a goer.

Cheers, Peter