[Catalyst] Re: Trying out FormHandler, running into "maketext" error

will trillich will.trillich at serensoft.com
Mon Nov 22 14:17:53 GMT 2010

>From %ENV there are only two LANG* keys:
   'LANG' =3D> 'en_US'
   'LANGUAGE' =3D> 'en_US:en_GB:en'

Looking at the docs for HTML::FormHandler::TraitFor::I18N it sure looks
flexible for moving toward a multi-language webapp, but when we just want a
quick proof-of-concept, we'd hope that there are some nice convenient
defaults that "just work". :(

Do we have to spend hours reading a whole set of manpages on
internationalization just to get our first elemental form to render? Surely
there's an elegant get-off-the-ground approach... This seems like a huge
detour that won't be productive, except for getting past this speed bump.
It's not that we're avoiding work, we're avoiding time-sinks, and this looks
like a time-sink.

E.g. we don't have a module MyApp::I18N with a new() method and hope to not
need to learn how to build one...

It'd be great (not to mention necessary/useful) if we were looking to
internationalize our app, but we're not.

So, is a study of I18N the One True Path to getting a form to render? Or is
there something simple we missed?

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 3:38 AM, John Anderson <genehack at genehack.org>wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2010, at 10:26 PM, will trillich wrote:
>
> > Pooh. Still no luck. When we try a more more Moose-y approach, we do get
> updated database records (stuffing the URL with arguments to affect a
> form-submit) but still can't render, with the same error as before:
>
> Have you looked at the docs for HTML::FormHandler::TraitFor::I18N? Based =
on
> that, you may want to see if you have something in $ENV{LANGUAGE_HANDLE} =
or
> try passing in a language handle to your form constructor -- or may try
> push_errors instead of add_errors, as that documentation suggests.
>

> j.

> Searchable archive:

-- =

Failure is not important. How you overcome it, is.
-- Nick Vujicic