[Catalyst] Begginer's question about application structure

Ben van Staveren benvanstaveren at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 15:13:00 GMT 2010

Personally (and this does mean personally), I'd do it as follows:

Your actual "logic" code (e.g. the whole deal of storing and retrieving
things from the database) should be in a separate set of modules. Call
those the 'backend' stuff. The main module here should be able to
connect to the database on it's own, given the location of a config
file, and it should be able to take an existing configuration and DB
handle from Catalyst;

e.g.
my $backend = My::Backend->new(config_file => 'foo.cfg');

or

my $backend = My::Backend->new(config => $c->config, database => $c->model);

(the above isn't quite correct but forgot what I used myself).

Then you can easily wrap that into a Model; and do things like:

$c->model('Backend')->get_me_an_artist()

The advantage here being that you can also use your backend outside of
Catalyst, so writing a console app becomes trivial at that point.

Sorry for the slightly disjointed reply but doing about 234413 things at
the same time :D