[Catalyst] Which Form Validation Libs?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Nov 30 11:26:13 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 30 November 2010 11:31:56 David Schmidt wrote:
> another great module which from my perception is used the most lately is
>
> HTML::FormHandler
> http://search.cpan.org/~gshank/HTML-FormHandler-0.32005/

I can recommend *against* HTML-FormHandler.

For my day job's Perl and Catalyst project, we initially decided to go with
HTML-FormHandler, only to discover it was buggy, quirky and had severe memory
leaks. We ended up doing many workarounds and recently made a transition from
it to HTML-FormFu, which while by no means perfect, is much saner.

My co-worker "nothingmuch" who has done many of the workarounds can provide
further comments on it. Recently I had to over-ride a role in the login form
(for which we need to use HTML-FormHandler due to CatalystX::SimpleLogin) that
will accept an empty string as the 'action=""' attribute because it only
placed true values of the attribute there, which ruled out empty strings. But
I recall many other fun hours debugging HTML-FormHandler.

Stay away if you can.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish