[Catalyst] I18N

Stuart Watt swatt at infobal.com
Fri Oct 15 14:57:38 GMT 2010

  Thanks for the feedback. CatalystX::I18N looks like it is heading in =

the right direction, but it's testing status is pretty awful right now. =

I might well fix the worst of the issues, as this has Moosiness and =

other goodness.

I looked at C::P::Localize::Simple and its big win is _MISSING_TERM_ . =

This is really what I need in C::P::I18N, but which I can't have because =

it uses Locale::Maketext::Simple, which forces the Auto mode lexicon =

behavior in an apparently non-overridable way, so missing values can =

never be detected. This sounds like a significant issue with =

Catalyst::Plugin::I18N, but which probably could be remedied by =

switching it to use Locale::Maketext::Lexicon. This would be a huge =

change, and I'd probably be the only beneficiary. However, I could be =

convinced to to fix it if this was considered worthwhile by others.

C::P::I18N::PathPrefix looks cool, but it's a role that processes =

request paths, so it could in theory be combined with a variant on =

C::P::I18N that did the right thing. Unfortunately, the core C::P::I18N =

doesn't, quite. This isn't a URL/path issue. I know the debates, but =

we're dealing with an intranet system so clean URLs are preferred to =

international support.

CatalystX::I18N does use Locale::Maketext::Lexicon, but may be hugely =

overcomplicated for what I actually need, and as I said, it's rarely =

passing tests -- although a look indicates this is mostly due to an =

erroneous internationalization in currency and a dependency on "use =

parent" which is not properly set in the dependencies on CPAN.

I *think* what I need to do is either (a) fork C::P::I18N, or (b) fix =

CatalystX::I18N. However, given the Moose changes, I'm not sure which is =

a better approach. I'm guessing (b), but this is a guess.

Stuart Watt
ARM Product Developer
Information Balance

On 10/13/2010 6:35 PM, Kieren Diment wrote:
> On 14/10/2010, at 8:25 AM, Ekki Plicht (DF4OR) wrote:
>
>> Am Dienstag 12 Oktober 2010, 22:04:23 schrieb Stuart Watt:
>>>   Quick question: I'm currently using Catalyst::Plugin::I18N. Should I
>>> be planning to move to CatalystX::I18N? Any thoughts...?
>> Stuart, I am in no way a Catalyst expert, just a mere beginner. And faci=
ng the
>> same question :-)
>>
>> I played around with C::P::I18N, and it does perfectly what is says it d=
oes -
>> l10n. But I want (need) more, like localized paths, for example. So I lo=
oked
>> at C::P::I18N::Request which is perfect for that, but decides only on the
>> browser header setting of accept-language, AFAICS. Which renders it usel=
ess
>> for me.
>>
>> Then there is C::P::I18N::PathPrefix, which is a helpful and different
>> approach. It comes in handy when path names are the same even for differ=
ent
>> languages, a situation which I have here in my current project.
> Localised paths can be done though configuration.  See Chapter 7 of the D=
efinitive Guide to Catalyst for details (p 187 - relevant snippet of code b=
elow, downloadable source for the book available from http://www.apress.com=
/book/view/1430223650) where I translated the uri paths into Indonesian: