[Catalyst] Re: Returning to referer - which action to take?

Ekki Plicht (DF4OR) ep at plicht.de
Thu Sep 30 20:36:36 GMT 2010

Am Dienstag 28 September 2010, 23:09:49 schrieb Aristotle Pagaltzis:
> * Ekki Plicht (DF4OR) <ep at plicht.de> [2010-09-26 23:50]:
> > Am Sonntag 26 September 2010, 23:05:51 schrieb Octavian Rasnita:
> > > For example, you can have urls like:
> > >
> > > www.site.com/en/dir1/dir2 www.site.com/ro/dir1/dir2
> >
> > Hm, I don't like URLs like that very much, but your later
> > argument, that SEs wouldn't know which language to index when
> > the pages have the same URL is convincing. I didn't think of
> > that. Thanks.
> >
> > I will look at the links you provided.
>
> Another advantage of putting the language in the URI is that if
> you want to refer to a specific language version of the page, you
> can use that link.

Right.

> Another is that you do not need to keep any session data. You can
> implement the “select language” functionality by putting
> “[English] [German] [French]” etc links somewhere at the top
> right of the page that simply link to the other-language versions
> of the same page – and simply by clicking on one of them, the
> user has “changed” their “session”.

Well, yes. And put the language in every other link on that page, if I don't
keep it in a session. Feasible, but I am not sure about the performance
penalty with hundreds of links in my menu tree, which have to be prepared
dynamically. But I will check on that when I get there, no premature
optimization.

> Ultimately you should not need any session storage for anything.

Yes, for session tracking. I would like to see what my visitors do on our site
:-)

Cheers,
Ekki