[Catalyst] Suggestions for sending email from cron job using 'Catalyst' templates?

Charlie Garrison garrison at zeta.org.au
Sun Apr 10 13:10:29 GMT 2011

Good evening,

First, I may not be approaching this the right way at all. So
I'm happy to take any suggestions for a better way to do what I need.

I've got a daily task (cron job currently) which sends emails to
users. I want to use existing TT templates to generate the email
content. I'm using Mail::Builder::Simple for the message
creation & sending.

All the simple tests are working fine, until I want to use the
existing template setup that I've been using to send email from
within Catalyst. Specifically, the wrapper template (with
header, footer, etc) makes fairly extensive use of c.uri_for and
c.uri_for_action. And of course the Catalyst context is not
available from the cron job (at least no way that I could find).

One option is to move all the logic to a controller action and
just have the cron job make an http request. That doesn't seem
like the right approach though.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can use my existing
template structure and still be able to use `c` from a cron job?
Or should I use a completely different approach?

Thanks,
Charlie

--
    Ꮚ Charlie Garrison ♊ <garrison at zeta.org.au>