[Catalyst] Opinions on static::simple - with caching

Toby Corkindale toby at dryft.net
Tue Feb 1 02:17:53 GMT 2011

On 31 January 2011 19:04, Tomas Doran <bobtfish at bobtfish.net> wrote:
> On 31 Jan 2011, at 07:17, Toby Corkindale wrote:
> <snip>
>> However, I suppose in situations where that matters, you shouldn't be
>> serving files via Static::Simple..
>> And the regular Static::Simple still provides Last-Modified headers,
>> which do allow browsers to perform some caching.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Pretty much that - Static::Simple is really meant for development only, and
> in such a situation, you really want to not serve cache headers, as you
> don't want things cached when you're developing.
>
> That said, this isn't the first time someone has suggested this recently, so
> maybe it's worth just adding as an option in Static::Simple directly (with
> suitable warnings about production use in the documentation).

The case that I find having the headers enabled is as follows:

Front end load-balancing proxies, talking to app servers running
starman, running catalyst apps.
If you use Static::Simple, this does make the pipeline configuration
nice and simple.
I like simplicity.
If you enable caching on your static content, then your
reverse-proxies at the front will cache things, and take the load of
static content off Catalyst at the back.

I'd like to see it as an option on Static::Simple; I could mod that
and send a patch over if you liked?

Toby