[Catalyst] Gearman

Devin Austin devin.austin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 17:17:03 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:

> Octavian,
>
> There's a Gearman Google Group that might be more helpful for you.
>
> 2011/1/24 Octavian Rasnita <orasnita at gmail.com>
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>> I have installed Gearman::Server and ran gearmand under Linux and tried =
>> use the worker and the client from Windows, but I saw that Gearman is not
>> very reliable.
>>
>> I have created a worker that sends email but for beeing sure that it is
>> not a problem of the mail server I have put it to write a line in the log
>> each time it was appealed.
>>
>> From 10 similar requests, the worker is called only 7 or 8 times.
>>
>> I have ran gearmand with no options.
>>
>> Do you have any idea if this is normal to happen or I am missing some
>> important parameters?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --Octavian

>> Searchable archive:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.scsys.co.uk/
>> Dev site: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/
>>

> --
> Bill Moseley
> moseley at hank.org

> Searchable archive:

You might also want to create a job "tracker" that uses a database of some
sort to mark jobs done when they complete, and just selects jobs that are
incomplete and runs them.  That way, if a job doesn't complete, the tracker
picks it up and sends it to the worker again.

I wrote an Advent article on this:
http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2010/7

-- =

Devin Austin