[Catalyst] Gearman

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 19:54:48 GMT 2011

Hi Devin,

From: "Devin Austin" <devin.austin at gmail.com>
> You might also want to create a job "tracker" that uses a database of some
> sort to mark jobs done when they complete, and just selects jobs that are
> incomplete and runs them.  That way, if a job doesn't complete, the tracker
> picks it up and sends it to the worker again.
>
> I wrote an Advent article on this:
> http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2010/7
>
> --
> Devin Austin

I read your article and it was very helpful.
The client and worker I made were inspired from those I found in that article.

I have also read at the end that Gearman is mainly used for speed and not for reliability but I thought that this may be because it doesn't use a permanent database and that the jobs might disappear if the Gearman server is killed.
However, I see that the jobs disappear even if the server is running fine.

I think that I actually need a job tracker for making sure the jobs are done correctly than executing those jobs faster.

   I have also taken a look at Beanstalk but I haven't seen a version for Windows.

I don't like the idea to create my own job queue, so if I won't be able to patch TheSchwartz::Moosified to work with Oracle I think that I will have to use a MySQL DB only for holding the job queues.

Octavian