[Catalyst] What text editor to use?

Thomas L. Shinnick tshinnic at io.com
Thu Mar 3 02:50:08 GMT 2011

At 08:13 PM 3/2/2011, gvim wrote:
>On 02/03/2011 11:10, John M. Dlugosz wrote:
>>What's a good text editor to use for Catalyst/TT development?
>>
>>The editor I really like for C++ doesn't handle XML well. I've been
>>using "Notepad++" for windows, but the syntax highlighting doesn't
>>understand mixing TT inside the base language, and it has tabs only
>>instead of multiple visible windows.
>>
>>I would entertain both Windows and Linux solutions.
>>
>>TIA, --John
>
>Vim does everything you will ever need if you're dealing with text
>:-). Try MacVim if you're on OS X:
>
>http://code.google.com/p/macvim/
>
>gvim

I second the nomination for Vim, for another important reason.  I
hate switching editors.  So, er... huh?

Vim runs everywhere.  I can wander from platform to platform and not
have to worry whether something capable is available.  That was
really something I needed back when (15+ years) when Windows was so
badly served.  Still using it, even on Solaris!  ;-)

Now if you like learning new editors, or having 2 or 3 "in your
pocket", fine.  But I've not yet found something I couldn't do in
Vim.  Hey I rarely need to edit in binary, but it can do it.  And
hacking Unicode isn't so revolutionary now, but was possible with Vim
before some other editors.  Good pedigree, barks on command, etc., etc.