[Catalyst] Catalyst/FastCGI process management

Charlie Garrison garrison at zeta.org.au
Wed Mar 9 03:32:58 GMT 2011

Good afternoon,

On 9/03/11 at 2:16 AM -0000, gvim <gvimrc at gmail.com> wrote:

>So, if there any others out there using nginx/cgiwrap-fcgi.pl
>can you tell me what you're using to manage the processes. I've
>heard that a persistent environment needs more process
>management than vanilla CGI so can't deploy this app until I'm
>confident I can manage processes properly.

I'm not using nginx/cgiwrap-fcgi.pl, but for fastcgi process
management I doubt it matters which http server is being used. I
suggest (& use) daemontools.

http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html

The run script can be as simple as:

-----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

exec 2>&1
exec setuidgid appuser envdir ./env
/home/appuser/myapp/script/myapp_fastcgi.pl -e -l 127.0.0.1:3010
-----------------------------------

The env dir can contain files to populate environment variable, eg:

$ cat /service/catalyst-appuser/env/PERL5LIB
/home/appuser/lib/perl5/

$ cat /service/catalyst-appuser/env/CATALYST_DEBUG
0

We were already using daemontools for a number of other
services, so adding catalyst process management was simple.

Charlie

--
    Ꮚ Charlie Garrison ♊ <garrison at zeta.org.au>

〠  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt