[Catalyst] Which JS framework to use?

shawn wilson ag4ve.us at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 13:18:24 GMT 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 4:15 AM, Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil at over.ru> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm QUITE new to JS, and tried my best to evade it, but now I have to face
> that thing.
>
> First of all, I'd need autocompletion and form extension ("Add one more
> field" button, to clone selectbox+text fields)
>
> I understand that it can be done using ANY nowadays framework, but I'd al=
so
> like to easily integrate cloning into HTML::FormFu or maybe
> HTML::FormHandler.
>
> What would you recommend?

i was in your shoes about two weeks ago. i was hoping to find some sort of a
perl module that would help me with js - maybe convert perl to js inside of
an anonymous sub or something. i couldn't find anything of the sort. so, i
decided to do my js by hand. it's an interesting language - sorta fun in a
webby sort of way. you loop through objects with a for(x in obj) and the
string concatenation is done with a + instead of a . (which has been the
source of at least a half dozen errors).

so, as it sits, i get json data from catalyst, build my page with js, and
'post' my forms with ajax and repeat.

that said, in another week, i might move from straight js to jquery. i just
started with js because i figured i should learn the underlying language
before using a library for it. that said, i don't think there's anything
wrong with just knowing jquery as it seems to be such a immersive library.

ps - the worst part of js for me is that i spend so much time messing with
js that i don't get to spend as much time doing perl. it is literally, i
need perl to return this, five minutes later, i'm back figuring out what to
do with the data in js.

pps - remember security - i'd suggest any js app use esapi when displaying
user generated data.