[Catalyst] Sending Email from Page?

Jorge Gonzalez jorge.gonzalez at daikon.es
Mon Mar 21 14:16:44 GMT 2011

I really don't see the point in using an Email model. Just use the email
sending module from the controller (Mail::Builder::Simple or whatever)
and setup a local postfix which accepts outbound emails from local
connections, and you're done. All queuing will be done by postfix, where
it belongs.

You need to install a local mail server so that the Catalyst app does
not get stuck trying to send. We can assume that messages sent from
localhost will be handed over to the local MTA pretty quickly (besides
corner cases like full mailspool and the like). This MTA can be a
full-blown one, or one configured to use use a smart host.

Catalyst offers you some posibilities, but it does not force you to use
them. To me, using a model for sending email is like hammering a nail
with a screw driver. You can surely do it, but it's simpler to use the
hammer. Even if you have a fancy screw driver. :-)

Regards
J.