[Catalyst] Cat App on dotcloud

Richard Thomas ret at mac.com
Wed Nov 2 04:36:08 GMT 2011

> I'd like to get whatever doesn't work for dotCloud working again, so if you can share any of this info, I'd be very grateful.

Hi Tom,

It's still available on their site to me, but perhaps because I raised it? Anyway, here are the guts of it (reverse-thread):

=========

Your request (#14661) has been updated.

To review the status of the request and add additional comments, follow the link below:
http://dotcloud.zendesk.com/tickets/14661

You can also add a comment by replying to this email.

Jérôme Petazzoni, Sep-03 19:55 (PDT):
Hi Richard,

I'm sorry, I had this bit of info in our knowledge base, but I couldn't connect the dot until I saw your message about downgrading to Catalyst 5.8!
Catalyst 5.9 tries to use psgi.streaming, which is not properly implemented in our version of uwsgi.
This has been fixed in more recent versions of uwsgi, and we will update soon.
Meanwhile, as you could see, forcing Catalyst version to 5.8 works!

Best regards,

Richard Thomas, Sep-03 18:26 (PDT):
Hi Jérôme,

I've got it working again. I had to manually downgrade Catalyst from 5.90022 back to 5.80033:

dotcloud at ourclub-default-www-0:~$ cpanm install http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/B/BO/BOBTFISH/Catalyst-Runtime-5.80033.tar.gz
install is up to date. (0.01)
--> Working on http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/B/BO/BOBTFISH/Catalyst-Runtime-5.80033.tar.gz
Fetching http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/B/BO/BOBTFISH/Catalyst-Runtime-5.80033.tar.gz ... OK
Configuring Catalyst-Runtime-5.80033 ... OK
Building and testing Catalyst-Runtime-5.80033 ... OK
Successfully installed Catalyst-Runtime-5.80033
1 distribution installed
dotcloud at ourclub-default-www-0:~$

I will report the incompatibility to the Cat dev team, but if there are other dotcloud users with Catalyst-based apps, they'll hit this issue as well. It's still not clear to me which piece of the stack has the issue: Catalyst, PSGI or nginx

cheers
RET

It's easier to optimize a debugged program than to debug an optimized program.

Richard Thomas
ret at mac.com

Richard Thomas, Sep-03 15:38 (PDT):
Hi Jérôme,

It's every page. There have been some changes under the hood of Catalyst that relate to its use of PSGI by default that I'm sure must be related. (Previously Catalyst::Engine::PSGI was simply an option.)

My dev machine is OSX, and the app runs quite happily under plackup there. It also seems to plackup on the dotcloud ourclub.www service if I ssh to there and try it. (I can't connect to it from a browser though, because of the port it listens on, I presume.)

I hope that helps.

cheers
RET
________________________
Sent from my iPhone

Jérôme Petazzoni, Sep-03 12:18 (PDT):
Hi Richard,

Is this happening all the time, or randomly?
Does it happen only on /demo, or other URIs as well?
If it's easy to reproduce, tell us how, and I'm sure we'll figure it out.

Best regards,

Richard Thomas, Sep-03 02:43 (PDT):
My perl / Catalyst based app is getting a series of UWSGI errors all of sudden. I can see that the app is responding to requests correctly, but in the handing back to nginx it's dying:

(from the uwsgi.log, after calling http://6dc6f98c.dotcloud.com/demo)

[Sat Sep 3 09:23:03 2011] [info] *** Request 1 (0.001/s) [28108] [Sat Sep 3 09:23:03 2011] ***
[Sat Sep 3 09:23:03 2011] [debug] "GET" request for "demo" from "10.68.47.216"
[Sat Sep 3 09:23:03 2011] [debug] Path is "/"
[Sat Sep 3 09:23:03 2011] [debug] Arguments are "demo"
[Sat Sep 3 09:23:03 2011] [debug] Found sessionid "92b296e3f0377df5e94f490e5d78241ae825934a" in cookie
[Sat Sep 3 09:23:03 2011] [debug] args: demo
[Sat Sep 3 09:23:03 2011] [debug] Rendering template "start.tt"
args: 1 0x790470
type 2
DAMN ! worker 2 (pid: 28118) died :( trying respawn ...
Respawned uWSGI worker 2 (new pid: 28120)

Any suggestions most welcome!

=========

I never did post this to the Cat dev team (until now, of course!) because the impression I got was that the issue was on the dotcloud WSGI side, and would be fixed in due course.

cheers
RET
There are people that go through life thinking they hit a triple
when they were just born on third base.

Richard Thomas
ret at mac.com