[Catalyst] Maturity of e-commerce modules in DJango when compared with Catalyst

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 10:25:16 GMT 2011

On 14 November 2011 03:28, Alec Taylor <alec.taylor6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My question to both users-groups is, how mature are your e-commerce modules?
>
> I am building a meta e-commerce store (so an e-commerce store of
> e-commerce stores), so it's very important that the e-commerce modules
> we extend are already quite mature.
>
> The kind of feature we will be adding in (or using, if already implemented):
> - Multiple payment gateways
> - Order lifecycle (i.e. keep client in-the-know of how close there
> order is to delivered)
> - Ability for store to allows client to pick between "pay on pickup",
> "pay on delivery" "pay online", but to also limit these choices to
> just, i.e. "pay online"
> - Multiple stores linked to the 1 shopping-cart (even across multiple
> payment gateways)
> - Pre-built modules to assist in building mobile apps

There isn't (AFAIK) an  off-the-shelf e-commerce solution in catalyst,
however - Mango and Handel (both available on cpan and github) provide
the framework with the features you require, they aren't widely used
(again AFAICT), mostly because high-end e-commerce leans towards
bespoke to-spec work rather than dropping in something off the shelf
(where most people plump for oscommerce or magento) - there are also a
fair ammount of perl classes and libraries for individual parts of the
system if you want to put something together without mango and handel
covering all the areas of e-commerce you need, from payment handling
to social media integration.

If it's a large project then chances are you won't find an all-in-one
solution that meets your needs, this is why the perl stuff tends to be
framework and library oriented rather than drop-in-and-go applications
which PHP pretty much owns.

regards,

Aaron

--