[Catalyst] Catalyst::Plugin::AutoCRUD example not working?

Janne Snabb snabb at epipe.com
Fri Oct 7 06:05:37 GMT 2011

Hi,

First of all, I am total newbie with Catalyst (but not with Perl),
so please ignore any cluelessnes.

I got interested in Catalyst and in particular Catalyst::Plugin::AutoCRUD
and wanted to give it a try. I followed the instructions in the
"INSTANT DEMO APPLICATION" section of AutoCRUD manual page but can
not get it to work and do not have a clue how to troubleshoot.

The startup of the demo application is accompanied by some worrying
diagnostics outputs (see below).

If I try with old Catalyst (5.80032-1) and old Perl (v5.12.4) as
distributed by Ubuntu & Debian, I do get a server listening at port
3000 and can connect to it. I get the following message on the web
page:

> Welcome to AutoCRUD, an automagic web interface for databases
>
> The schema for database "Dbic" has been loaded, so please select a
> table by clicking on its label, below.

... but unfortunately there is nothing to click below that message.

The startup is accompanied with the following messages:

> Dynamic schema detected, will run in 0.04006 mode.
>
> Set the 'naming' attribute or the SCHEMA_LOADER_BACKCOMPAT environment variable
> to disable this warning.
>
> Also consider setting 'use_namespaces => 1' if/when upgrading.
>
> See perldoc DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader::Manual::UpgradingFromV4 for more
> details.
> ******************************* WARNING ***************************************
> * No sources found (did you forget to define your tables?)                    *
> *                                                                             *
> * To turn off this warning, set the CMDS_NO_SOURCES environment variable.     *
> [debug] Debug messages enabled
> [debug] Statistics enabled
> [warn] You are running an old script!
>
>   Please update by running (this will overwrite existing files):
>     catalyst.pl -force -scripts DemoApp
>
>   or (this will not overwrite existing files):
>     catalyst.pl -scripts DemoApp
>
> [debug] Loaded plugins:
> .----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
> | Catalyst::Plugin::AutoCRUD  1.112770                                       |
> | Catalyst::Plugin::ConfigLoader  0.30                                       |
> '----------------------------------------------------------------------------'
[..]

If I use current Perl with current Catalyst, I do not get a HTTP
server on port 3000. The application starts but I can not connect
to it. I get the following messages when starting:

> You are loading Catalyst::Engine::HTTP explicitly.
>
> This is almost certainally a bad idea, as Catalyst::Engine::HTTP
> has been removed in this version of Catalyst.
>
> Please update your application's scripts with:
>
>   catalyst.pl -force -scripts MyApp
>
> to update your scripts to not do this.
>
> Dynamic schema detected, will run in 0.04006 mode.
>
> Set the 'naming' attribute or the SCHEMA_LOADER_BACKCOMPAT environment variable
> to disable this warning.
>
> Also consider setting 'use_namespaces => 1' if/when upgrading.
>
> See perldoc DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader::Manual::UpgradingFromV4 for more
> details.
> ******************************* WARNING ***************************************
> * No sources found (did you forget to define your tables?)                    *
> *                                                                             *
> * To turn off this warning, set the CMDS_NO_SOURCES environment variable.     *
> [debug] Debug messages enabled
> [debug] Statistics enabled
> [warn] You are running an old script!
>
>   Please update by running (this will overwrite existing files):
>     catalyst.pl -force -scripts DemoApp
>
>   or (this will not overwrite existing files):
>     catalyst.pl -scripts DemoApp
>
> [debug] Loaded plugins:
> .----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
> | Catalyst::Plugin::AutoCRUD  1.112770                                       |
> | Catalyst::Plugin::ConfigLoader  0.30                                       |
[..]

Am I doing something wrong? Is AutoCRUD maintained? If not, is there
some replacement?

(Running "catalyst.pl -force -scripts DemoApp" as instructed in the
diagnostics output does not help, it does not seem like this is a
proper thing to do.)

--
Janne Snabb / EPIPE Communications
snabb at epipe.com - http://epipe.com/